Acclimate Your Kitten to Bath Time
It's no secret that cats aren't huge fans of water. Don't despair! Your kitten is the perfect age to introduce him to water. With a few simple suggestions, your kitten can learn to love—or at least tolerate—the necessary flea bath.
- Introduce water gradually. Encourage your kitten to play in a small bowl filled with water.
- Create a positive bath-time experience. Grab your pet's favorite toys and add them to his bath ritual.
- Start small. While a bathtub seems appropriate, a sink or smaller tub might work better for your friend.
- Avoid sprayers. Instead, use your hand or a small cup for rinsing. Avoid eyes and ears when shampooing, and use a product specifically created for your pet's age and weight.
- Use warm water. Test the water on your wrist before placing your kitten in the water.
- Absorb as much excess water as possible with a dry towel. Some cats will want to remain in your loving embrace after a bath; others will want to be released quickly. Watch your pet for cues—he will let you know which approach he prefers.